Trying to get lips enlarged

A 23-year-old dentist and medical student died after experiencing an allergic reaction on the operating table, where she was supposed to undergo cosmetic surgery.

Maria Delyukina went to private clinic in Volgograd, southern Russia, to have her lips enlarged and chin re-profiled, Central European News (CEN) reported.

While the team administered anesthesia, Delyukina suffered massive anaphylactic shock. Though the team tried to stabilize her and transport her to emergency care, she died before she arrived at the hospital.

Anaphylactic shock, a severe allergic reaction to a drug or substance, can cause fatal breathing complications or low blood pressure.

Officials plan to conduct an autopsy to figure out why pre-operative tests didn’t detect the woman’s allergy, CEN reported.

The Chicago Tribune’s investigation also shows 1,311 cases of documented harm since July 2011 – hundreds more cases of documented harm than publicly reported by Illinois’ Department of Human Services.

Thomas Powers was one of those unfortunate cases. He died in a Joliet group home for adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities.

Grieving relatives of Powers didn’t know there was evidence found of neglect, which included an instance of the 50-year-old, with the intellect of a small child, being forced to sleep on a soiled mattress on the floor in a room for storage.

Other incidents similar or worse than Powers’ experience have also been revealed.